WWDACT is the representative body for women, girls, non-binary and feminine identifying people with disabilities in the ACT. With the ACT election coming up in October 2020, we are seeking commitments from the candidates in the 5 areas of our strategic plan to support access and inclusion in the ACT community.
WWDACT calls on all parties to commit to:
- Maintain and increase funding for Disabled People’s Organisations, aligned with the increase in population and need for representation.
- Ensure all directorates have access and inclusion plans, informed by people with disabilities.
- Consider a gendered, intersectional lens on all policies relating to disability.
- Promote women’s leadership through funded inclusive programs.
- Develop and implement a Disability Health Strategy, co-designed with people with disabilities.
- Fund Disability Liaison Officers in Hospitals, particularly for Maternity Services and spinal cord injuries.
- Implement the recommendations of the report from the Inquiry into Maternity Services.
- Ensure Women’s Health Services are resourced to cater for women with disabilities, including counselling.
- Improve the accessibility of crisis shelters in the ACT.
- Fully implement of the Disability Justice Strategy including a gendered approach to justice issues.
- Strengthen the role of the Family Safety Hub.
- Continue funding of Official Visitors.
- Streamline complaints processes at ACT Human Rights Commission.
- Increase the quantum and availability of public housing.
- Introduce measures to promote affordable, accessible housing in the private rental market.
- Implement minimum accessibility features as standard for all new housing.
Urban Planning and Safety
- Implement disability conscious emergency planning in all directorates, using the Person-Centred Emergency Preparedness Framework and the Disability Inclusive Disaster Risk Reduction Framework.
- Ensure walkability and safety are incorporated in all town planning.
Ask your local candidates to commit to these initiatives! Send them a letter and attach our platform!